Saturday, June 11, 2011

Adventures in Dreamland

Memorial Day brought with it a new challenge for our sweet Cole. Not only had Cole begun to wein himself from Mommy, but his pack and play was becoming a uncomfortable, cramped place for him to sleep at the foot of Mommy and Daddy's bed. So, on Monday night, Cole attempted his first night upstairs in the nursery, by himself.

It was fun playing in the nursery after bedtime, and rocking upstairs in the rocker I had been passed down through my family. Cole and I said our prayers, he had a bottle, and then I waited...

He fell asleep and his little paci fell out of his mouth; a sure sign he is fast asleep. I placed him in his crib and tip toed out around 8:00, Cole's normal bedtime. Clint has mounted a video monitor above Cole crib so we would have a full view of the entire crib. I highly recommend a video monitor to parent's looking into them. It is so reassuring knowing that we can see his every move, especially when our little one is upstairs. I can litterally see his eyes flutter, all on a 2x3" screen!

The night began well enough; however, Cole woke and I was up and down the stairs EIGHT yes EIGHT times. Whew!

I was dragiing the nest morning as was Cole, but I was determined to keep on my plan. Every time he woke up, I would cuddle him or offer a smaller bottle. He fell asleep quickly. I think he wasn't used to being in his crib yet, and away from Mommy and Daddy.

Night number two was much better. I think I was up and down 5 times. Night number three, I decided to try to let him "cry it out" after the third trip up the stairs for a few minutes. I went up to reassure him Mommy was close by, I cuddled him for a moment, then laid him down; however, this time when he woke back up I let him wimper for about 20 minutes. He fell asleep and slept the rest of the night. I was harder to watch him wimper, but I know getting him on a good sleep schedule will only help him to be independent and a good sleeper in hte future.

Cole is now sleeping from 8-12ish and then until around 5:00 am. Not the best, but OHHH! such an upgrade from 8 trips up and down the stairs.

No comments:

Post a Comment