Monday, March 7, 2011

Gettin' Crafty for Cole: Easter/ Spring Edition

I'm always looking for a new "project," and my severe case of spring fever helped me to find this one. I don't know about everyone else, but we have had enough of being cooped up this winter. We're ready for Spring, Easter, and sunshine! What better craft project than an Easter Basket?
As with all my crafts, I can't take credit for the initial idea. Cole's first Easter is fast approaching and I began hunting for a Easter Basket a few weekends ago. It just so happened that Pottery Barn Kids had sent us a catalog with the new Spring line. It was full of so many cute ideas for boys and girls. While I can appreciate the quality coming from PBK, I would much rather find a way to make it myself when it comes to an item like the basket shown below. Especially when the basket and liner alone cost $50, and that doesn't include monogramming or shipping!


After a bit of thought into how to go about it, I made a trip to Hobby Lobby for some fabric, ribbon, and a basket. Now, let me preface by saying I have absolutely no training with a sewing machine. I just spend hours going over how to make something before beginning.
For this project, I bought one yard of cheerful fabric, two rolls of fabric ribbon (1 inch and 1/2 inch wide), and a basket. Total cost $15.68 plus tax. If you want info on how I made it, I will be glad to try and explain, but like I said, I have no idea what I am doing, and there is probably a much easier way to make a basket liner. I just "winged it!"
After making the liner, I cut left over scrap material into strips, and fabric ribbon into pieces with pinking shears. The pieces were tied around the handle to add color! The finished product turned out just like I was hoping!
Just remember, you can do anything you put your mind to! My Mom told me, and I never forgot it!

No comments:

Post a Comment