Thursday, June 24, 2010

Half Way There 06/24/2010

Today is a very special day, one that I thought would never get here; we are 20 weeks pregnant and offically half way to our due date of November 11, 2010. It seems so strange that after years of imagining what it would feel like to be here in this moment, I have fianlly arrived. Yes, if you are asking yourself, I was dreaming of being a mother long before I met my loving husband. I suppose I have always wanted to be a mother.

I always wondered what it would feel like to be expecting a little human to arrive. The thought of a child inside my womb kicking a squirming seemed so alien. Now, it seems so familiar and sweet. This morning on the way to work, my little monkey kicked time after time after time. Maybe he likes the vibration of the tires over our gravel driveway, or maybe he likes to ride. No matter what he was feeling, I just smile and said good morning to my little man.

Clint and I were driving to Hendersonville, TN Tuesday night to pick up the baby's dresser at Target. Apparently its a sought after item and only two were avaialble in the tri-state area. Luckily we were only 50 miles away. The baby began one of his kicking sessions and I just laughed and said he agreed with what I was saying. Clint gave me a funny look, but in a way I do feel like we have conversations that require no words. NO, I don't know for sure what he is thinking at this exact moment, but I have no doubts his little brain is processing lots as I am writing this entry. The amazing thing, this is just the beginning. The things his brain will come up with in the next few hours, months and years. I feel so blessed to get to be here for them.

Planning for this little person is well underway. Our good friends, the Meadors, are driving with us to Green Hills Mall tomorrow to pick up our baby bedding from Pottery Barn Kids. I feel like this is the turning point. Now we can match paint colors to the bedding and get the nursery re-painted. Then, the glorious project of piecing together the crib, changing table, and our sought after dresser (maybe not so much after Clint begins to put them together) can begin.

We had the bright idea to decorate the nursery in zoo animals one night while watching Planet Earth on television. "Animals would be very stimulating for the baby. Or at least everything Baby Einstein is in some varying theme of bright colors and zebra stripes, so we can't go wrong, right?" Is this the same as saying if we read it on the internet, its true. I've come to believe that 50% of the "stuff" I've read in child development books is gold and the other 50% is garbage. My only problem is which 50% am I leaning toward.

In my mind, my child will wake up from a peaceful slumber look over at his 5' tall giraffe and think to himself, "That's a giraffe." Ok, maybe I'm jumping ahead of myself, but lets get his brain cells working. We'll take trips to the zoo when he's a toddler and he'll have all his favorites already determined based on the multiple bedtime books we rehearse together. I want his imagniation to run wild and hopefully this room will be the first step on his road to discovering the world.

So, 20 weeks down and 20 weeks to go. As you can see my brain isn't slowing down. The pregger brain continues to run wild in anticipation of the arrival of our Monkey.

No comments:

Post a Comment