Friday, March 28, 2014

March Winds bring April Showers bring May Flowers



Onions were started in early February. 
Just look at them go!


As long as I can remember,
 I've always thought of a verse my mother taught me when my birthday came each year...

March Winds bring April Showers bring May Flowers.  

It is a glimpse of hope at the end of the cold winter, a reminder that this too shall pass.

I have much thanks to give to my friend Courtney.  She taught me to can, and told me about keeping a garden before I realized how therapeutic and relaxing it can be.  after that first season of canning with her family, I have been hooked.  Clint and our families have helped me to keep a vegetable garden, and each year it seems to get better.  A lot due to their help, and my own trial and errors.  Since last year, I have tried to take that gardening a step further and has chose to garden using heirloom seeds.  What are heirlooms, you ask? 

The company I purchase from, Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds promises that their seeds are non-gmo, non-hybrid, non patented, and non treated.  What I love about them could be a post in itself, but to keep it simple, I like knowing that my seeds were grown the way God intended them to be, with sunshine, water, and a little TLC from a gardener's hands.  The same seeds that I can potentially grow in my garden, not altered in any way, can be traced back to seed used in Monticello, or even my grandmothers garden when my father was a crawling tot.  That legacy is worth a few pennies extra if you ask me...



These little beauties are carrots.  Hopefully,
they are super sweet!
 
Okay, I'm stepping off my soapbox now.  Back in January, I sat down with my seed catalog, garden planner, and some scrap paper.  After selecting what I wanted to grow, I spent a few days researching how best to lay out the garden, and then ordered our seed.  It was so exciting to see that package arrive with our garden inside!

The planner Clint gave me a few Christmases ago is so helpful,  I was able to pin point when the plants should be started indoors to get the best jump start on the growing season.  Things have been so busy at work for Clint, my greenhouse kit hasn't been assembled yet.  Never fear... Our house has lots of sunlight and windows!

A few clear totes, seed starting mix, and pots were the only things needed to get our make shift greenhouse operating.


And our most recent planting of tomatoes.
This is a Roma.  Can we say tomato sauce?

We are a few days into the new spring season and already we have seedlings showing themselves.  The onions, eggplant, carrots, tomatoes, and peppers are all growing.  Little man calls them baby plants and he takes his job of spraying them with water very seriously.  I'll be sure to update the page with more pictures as our garden comes along.

  Mary, Mary quite contrary how does your garden grow...

   Well here in Kentucky, we're feeling quite lucky,

       The seedlings are putting on a show!

No comments:

Post a Comment