Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Book Review: Mommywood by Tori Spelling

I've never been one who could sit still and read a book full of facts. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, I admit, I never truly read those chapters required for socail studies homework. I simply read the questions and skimmed for the answers. Sue me. So when it came time to research this new adventure into pregnancy and Mommyhood, I was a bit overwhelmed. My first trip to the Pregnancy section at Barnes and Noble was a bit much for me. Don't get me wrong, I love a good book. I can become totally engrosed when it comes to a good mystery or story from the heart, but a book of straight facts, well, thats another story.


I've buckled down and I DO read my weekly passage from the book Courtney Meador so graciously loaned to me, "Your Pregnancy Week by Week." Sometimes I nod off a bit, but I am dedicated, and I really DO need to read and research to be informed. Who wouldn't want to know what produce item the baby resembles each week! But for fun, I wanted to invest my time into a few light-hearted texts. First on my list, "Mommywood" by Tori Spelling.

Reading "Mommywood" while on vacation this summer.

Tori Spelling is querky, just like me. While she may be a tad bit more worried than I am on a normal day, I can totally relate to her thought process. She worries about how her life experiences will shape her parenting skills, and how to fit inside a box she was clearly not raised to dwell within! While I certainly wasn't raised inside an LA mansion, I totally loved reading about how Tori depserately tried to give Liam and Stella a proper suburban upbringing.

This book follows Tori as she adventures through pregnancy and the first years of her childrens' lives. Her television show, Tori and Dean Meet Hollywood gave me a bit of background info on their family dynamics. Aparently, the childrens' grandomther, Tori's Mother, wasn't the role model most women model after for their offspring. What is so amazing is how Tori turned a situation that was less than wholesme into something positive. Who has the perfect childhood? Not many. But one thing I took away from the book, was how to let your sun shine through the clouds. Tori is an absolute joy!

One wouldn't think a top-paid Hollywood type would bend over backwards to sew a ladybug costume for her infant or agonize over the fine details of an egg toss at the annual 4th of July picnic. I guess that just adds to the charm of her story. I must say, I began with this book, and not with her first, "sTori Telling," but let me assure you, I will be reading both her first and third books now. I can't wait to get to Barnes and Noble to find them!

All in all, I give this one 4 out of 5 stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment